How To Renew Your Skin Naturally With Facial Steaming : Procedure, Precautions & Benefits
Facial steaming is one of the most inexpensive and easy ways to have a healthy skin. Not only does it give a glow to your skin but it will ...
How To Do Facial Steaming At Home?
- Start by removing any makeup or creams and wash your face with a gentle cleanser and tie your hair back.
- Facial steamers are quite inexpensive and can be easily purchased online. If you have a facial steamer then you can use it according to the equipment's instructions.
- If you don't have a facial steamer then just follow the steps mentioned below.
- Boil 1 or 2 liters of water and transfer it to a bowl. Make sure that the water is hot but not boiling. The ideal temperature is 110 Fahrenheit (43 degrees Celsius).
- You can add herbs such as basil or chamomile or aromatic oil in the water. You can use lemongrass for an energizing steam, chamomile for a relaxing steam, and sandalwood for a stress-relieving steam.
- Now keep the bowl on a table and take a seat. Put your face on top of the bowl and cover your face and bowl with a towel.
- The ideal distance between your face and the hot water should be 30-40 centimeters.
- Close your eyes and do facial steaming for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- If you feel suffocated you can just remove the towel for some fresh air for few seconds.
Alternate Method For Facial Steaming At Home
You can dip clean towels in hot water and let it cool down for few seconds.
Now let the towel rest on your face for few minutes and do this two to three times.
The towel shouldn't be dripping wet and it should be mildly hot.
Skin Care Post Facial Steaming
Now after facial steaming, exfoliate your skin gently. Exfoliating is important because it extracts the dirt particles from the open pores. It also helps in the removal of blackheads and whiteheads easily. After exfoliation, apply a face mask. Applying face mask after steaming will help your skin absorb the nutrients and the impurities will be lifted away easily. Some of the face masks you can apply after facial steaming are:
Clay Masks: Clay masks are ideal post steaming. If you are using a clay mask, leave it on for 15 minutes. You can use bentonite clay. It pulls toxins from your skin and provides oxygen to cells. Combine this with either yogurt or tea tree oil and apply it on your face.
Yogurt Face Mask: You can just take some fresh yogurt and apply it on your face. Leave it on for 15 minutes and then wash your face. This face mask will leave your skin soft and hydrated. This is ideal for dry skin.
Honey Face Mask: Take some raw honey and mix it with a spoon of lemon juice and apply it on your face. Wash it after 15 minutes. This is ideal for oily skin.
Avocado Face Mask: Mash half an avocado and apply it on your face, leave it on for 15 minutes and then wash your face. This will leave your skin really soft and supple.
After this use a toner, such as rose water or raw milk to close your pores. In the end, moisturize your skin and gently massage it while you apply the moisturizer.
To sum up the process you need to follow is; Cleansing, Steaming, Exfoliating, Facial mask, Toning, and Moisturizing.
Precautions To Take During Facial Steaming
- You are supposed to steam your face, and not burn it. So don't do it for a long period of time. Maximum time should be 5-10 minutes.
- Water should not be boiling hot, it should be hot enough to let out steam.
- Do not go for facial steaming if you have acne because it can make it worse. Wait for the acne to subside.
- Maintain the distance mentioned in this article, your skin can break if too much heat is applied to it.
- Do it twice or thrice a month. If you do it too much your skin can be dried out.
Benefits Of Facial Steaming
- Improves Blood Circulation: It improves your blood circulation which in turn increases the flow of oxygen and other nutrients to the facial tissues, which will leave your face glowing.
- Cleanses Clogged Pores: It cleanses your clogged pores by removing the dead cells that are clogging the pores. Clogged pores are one of the key contributing factors to acne breakouts. With the pores open, you can remove impurities at a deeper skin level.
- Hydrates The Skin: It hydrates your skin, that's because the moisture softens the surface layer of dead skins cells called the stratum corneum.
- Removes Toxins: It will remove toxins from your skin because of perspiration. The mist that forms on our skin is perspiration which pushes the accumulated dirt, debris, and dead skin hid beneath. This cannot be removed by the cleansing we do daily using a face wash or cleansing milk.
- Eradicates Blackheads and Whiteheads: It helps you remove blackheads and whiteheads. When steam is applied to your face, it softens and loosens your pores and allows blackheads and whiteheads to be gently extracted from the surface of the skin. Blackheads or whiteheads can then be removed more easily by mildly exfoliating your face.
- Helps Prep Your Skin: Steaming allows your skin to absorb any other products you might use after the process. So you can do this before going for a facial and then close your pores with a toner or ice pack.
- Anti-aging Benefits: Steaming helps in shedding the dead skin on the outer surface of the skin and reveals a fresh and younger looking skin.
- Aromatherapy: When you steam with aromatic oils, it can become a form of aromatherapy and will help you relax.
Image Source: 1, 2, 3, 4